Umbrella

Umbrella
Powerscourt, Ireland.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday Night Sew In Stuff

Although from looking at my pictures, it doesn't seem like I got a lot accomplished, I actually did!


I cut and chain pieced about 200 pieces for a coin quilt I am making.  I'm using a tutorial from Moda bake shop, which actually looks quite easy.  I'm still fiddling with the sashing and border fabrics, but the bulk of the work is done, as shown in this pile.

My limiting factor last night was that I really didn't feel like dragging out the ironing board, so I stopped with the chain piecing.

I then moved on to a placemat project.  I had cut out the fabric last weekend for 4 placemats.  I tried one technique, that did not work the way I wanted it to.  Basically I'm trying to use left over fabric and old t-shirts as the inside batting.  When you sew woven cotton to knit (like t-shirt material) it stretches and puckers....bummer for me.


So I had to embark on a new course with the placemats.  I sewed together one side, quilted the front, t-shirt and back together, trimmed and then added seam binding.  It actually turned out cute.  I started the second placemat (top of photo) and quickly realized that I needed the iron, so I stopped for the night.

So, this is my first Friday Night Sew In.  I really like the idea of setting aside time to do something creative.  Although I just started sewing, I have a lot of projects that I need to work on. 

Cheers~
Marti


Handmade by Heidi

3 comments:

  1. Wow... you did get a lot done for the FNSI! A coin quilt... what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love so many of the Moda patterns and it looks like you've made a great start - your fabrics look cool. And that placemat is darling. I agree that FNSI is good for setting aside time for something creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get so much done! Chain piecing is one of my favorite tricks. I think it's a huge time saver.

    Thanks for joining the FNSI.. it's really does give us that extra push to sit down and make progress.

    ReplyDelete